Measuring Gloss on Skin, Lips and Hair
The measurement of gloss is very important in the efficacy testing of skin care, hair care and decorative cosmetics (lipsticks, make-up, etc.). Skin and hair are supposed to show a natural, luminous gloss without appearing oily.
The Measuring Principle
The measurement is based on reflection. Parallel white light is created by LEDs in the probe head. To be able to emit light at 60° in a relatively small and uniquely designed measurement head, light is sent out at 0° and reflected by mirrors to 60°. Two separate measurement channels measure the direct reflected light (again guided by a mirror in the same angle into the reflection channel) and the diffuse reflected (scattered) light. The scattered/diffuse reflected light is measured at 0° (completely vertically above the measured surface) under the assumption that light is scattered in the same way over all degrees (diffuse channel).So the Skin-Glossymeter GL 200 expresses both, the portion of directly reflected light (gloss) and the diffuse scattered portion from the skin surface.
Advantages of the Skin-Glossymeter
- Diffuse Scattering Correction (DSC): The Skin-Glossymeter GL 200 is especially designed to assess the gloss of the skin surface by light reflectance. Skin, however does not only vary in structure and brightness but also in colour. On the skin some part of the light will penetrate into the upper layers and will get scattered depending mainly on the skin colour (dark skin scatters less then light skin). To obtain a gloss value mostly free from the influence of skin colour, the diffuse light entering the gloss channel is deducted by a special formula. No other gloss measurement offers such a function.
- The measurement is combined in a uniquely designed probe head. It allows very quick measurement (1 s) and is very easy to to handle.
- Continuous measurements over a longer time period can optionally be performed.
- The spring in the probe head ensures constant pressure on the skin enabling exact, reproducible measurements.
- The accuracy of the Skin-Glossymeter probe can be checked easily anytime.
- Large illuminated area (Ø 20 mm) but small measuring area (5 x 2.5 mm), ideal for measurement e.g. on the face
- Especially designed for skin but applications like measurements on lips, hair, teeth and other materials are also easily possible
- specially designed hair clip to measure the gloss easily and conveniently directly on the hair
- The probe head can easily be cleaned after each measurement.
Fields of Application:
There are many applications in the R&D departments of the cosmetic industry where gloss is of interest.
- For formulation, claim support and efficacy testing of skin care, hair care and decorative cosmetics (lipsticks, make-up etc.).
- Evaluation of skin shine reducing or skin radiance enhancing products in facial care.
The Skin-Glossymeteris available as a stand-alone device or connectable to the MPA systems or as a wireless probe..
Please also read Frequent Asked Questions on the Skin-Glossymeter.
Dimensions: 13 cm x Ø 2.4 cm, Cable length: approx. 1.3 m, Measuring area: 2.5 mm x 5 mm, Weight: 85 g incl. probe cable
Measurement principle: reflectance, Light: white LED, emittance at 60°, reflection measurement at 60°, diffuse reflectance measurement at 90°
Units: Glossymeter units (excellent correlation with industrial standard units GU based on DIN and ISO), Accuracy: ± 5%
For the dimensions, etc. of the wireless probes, please see the technical data of the basic devices.
Technical changes may be made without prior notice.